ActionAid Bangladesh (AAB) & Global Rights Compliance (GRC) along with Awaj Foundation and Safety & Rights Society initiated this project between 1st April 2015 to 15 March 2016 with a budget of GBP 117959 in order to Increase state, corporate and trade union understanding and uptake of the UNGPs in the garment, leather and tannery sectors. This project leads to increased accountability and reduced violations of human rights in businesses in Bangladesh.
Major Achievements of the Project:
• Provided training to 200 mid-level staff in garment, leather and tannery factories
• Provided ToT to 50 TUF (Trade Union Federation) leaders with technical support from Directorate of Labour/ Labour Welfare Centres
• Developed Training Manual to provide training and orientation to TUFs, TUs and Workers
• Provided training (through trained TUF leaders) to 200 TU leaders in the garment sector
• Provided orientation (through trained TU leaders) to 1,200 workers in the garment sector on worker rights.
• Carried out a multi-stakeholder workshop with government agencies, owner associations and other relevant stakeholders to promote understanding of the UNGPs on BHR (Business and Human Rights).
• Prepared a due diligence, questionnaire for textile, leather and tannery industries in Bangladesh